28.5.10

Not a part of the club.

It's about that time again. The time for us to vote.

Here in the Netherlands you are allowed to vote as soon as you are eighteen. I've been eighteen for almost five years and I am embarrassed to admit I have never voted. I voted for the president of the United States but, only because my dad told me I had to. 
All around me people -friends and family- are wrapped up in this politics fad. They watch the tv, and when they've missed the debates they ask other people about it or watch the rerun. I do no such thing, nor do I care to be honest.

I feel like a total outsider. Fortunately my best friend and fellow blog writer feels the same way. But, my other friends, colleagues and even my family are forcing me to vote. I thought voting was a choice not an obligation. Don't they tell you it's a privilege to vote. If I choose not to care, why is it such a problem?

I don't read newspapers. I don't watch the news and I don't listen to the news on the radio. I am completely and utterly oblivious to the happenings in the world and I am completely content about that.
And since I am so oblivous to the happenings in the world, why would my vote be so important?

I am putting my foot down and I will not vote... Unless my daddy tells me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We live not according to reason, but according to fashion.

.

Search This Blog

Us

My photo
Two not so social socialites interested in fashion, books, art, photography and traveling

Fans