2.6.10

There comes a time in every girl's life....

.... that they shop too much and are forced to burn their creditcard and spread the remains throughout the entire... WORLD so, not to do it again.

That time... is now.

I bought too much. It all started with the Louis Vuitton bag. Then, because I was so careful with it, I bought a key purse, so my keys wouldn't pierce my bag. Of course I couldn't buy an ordinary key purse, it had to match my Louis. And though it is almost summer and even in Amsterdam the sun is slowly making it's appearance, I felt the need to own a leather jacket - mind you that I'm the girl who rarely gets cold and faints when temperature rises -. So I finally found the leather jacket of my dreams. The lady who sold me the jacket asked me if I wanted a receipt. My hatred towards those tiny pieces of paper made me say no but the lady insisted. When I got home, I immediately crumbled up the receipt and threw it away. Of course, two days later I found a hole in my jacket and am now stuck with a broken leather jacket.
But, after the leather jacket debacle I started noticing my lack of money. So, I went vintage. Kris, my sister and I went to Episode which is a thriftshop here at Waterlooplein. Did you know that when you buy lots of cheap things, it adds up and you end up spending even more? Well, I do now.
Unfortunately that still isn't the end of it all. My new addiction of buying - and reading - books lead us - Kris and I - to the Waterstone. In search of the other Douglas Adams books  I ended up buying a new edition of The Hitchhikers Guide and the third book (I still need the second, fourth and fifth). Only buying them because I wanted the limited edition Puffin bag. I don't know what a puffin is, I just found it extremely cute. I then got the idea to buy a new purse. And since I absolutely love Hugo Boss we went to the Bonneterie to find one. I did not find what I was looking for but I did find a pair of adorable Boss Orange flip flops. I bought them.... with my creditcard.

At home, I did the unthinkable. I checked my money situation online. It was a horrible sight. In a panic attack I did what I always do in these situations: call my mom. Obviously I didn't tell her about the books, the vintage, the shoes, the key purse and all the sushi we've been eating (she already knew about the bag, I must have been in some insane mental state to actually tell her how much I paid for the bag, her response was: "don't ever tell your grandma, she will have a heart attack") and she wasn't angry but just disappointed (we all know that's way worse!) and she said that she was worried that I don't know the value of money. I told her: "No, I do not". An honest response, but I really don't. I think spending 1400 on a chanel bag is reasonable, 700 on a pair of Mary Jane's is duable. I don't know the value of money and until now, it never was a problem. I'm not saying this little predicament I'm in isn't serious, but I will -as always- work things out.

When my ex-boyfriend broke up with me, he sent me an angry email saying I was living on a pink cloud and I had to stop thinking I was a Gossip Girl and my life wasn't like The Hills and I wasn't Carrie Bradshaw. I laughed at it and told all my friends what an odd observation that was. I didn't think like that. Okay I admit I live on a pink cloud but that's only because I like it there. My fantasy world is so much better than the real world. But I knew I would never be like Blair or Lauren or Whitney. I am Pearl, the girl with all the lucky breaks and the great friends and the cute guys and the drama.
But, after the other day I now see what he meant. I do, in a way, think I am like them. To me, all those things seem easy accessible. "If I don't buy anything for three weeks, I will have a Chanel" and at the end of the day I will be in serious trouble or by the time those three weeks are up I will have splurged my money on other things.

I just need to stop spending money. No more Hugo Boss, no more sushi, no more Louis.... and... *sigh* no Chanel. I need to pay my bills first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We live not according to reason, but according to fashion.

.

Search This Blog

Us

My photo
Two not so social socialites interested in fashion, books, art, photography and traveling

Fans